aqua scroll template

Saturday, January 7, 2012

Upcycled Junk Chic Steampunk Cake stand Pedestal

Hi guys! A new creation! I got these big gears at an estate sale this fall and they have been lurking in my kitchen waiting for inspiration to strike me. At first I was thinking of making them (I had 2) into clocks but I was just not feeling it. Then it just clicked for me the other day..cake stand! (or pedestal)
This one was fab blue and rusty and the other is red and rusty. I scrubbed them up and sprayed them with a couple coats of sealer.
I painted these pedestal bases a couple years ago. I had them in my shop and when I closed that, I brought them home and used them as pillar candle stands and even just topped them with plates for parties. They have a crackled, distressed finish. The gear top had all these fab little holes around the edges, just begging for some bling. Since this was a marriage of the soft, shabby base and the hard industrial gear, I decided to add both traditional "soft" antique chandelier prisms and "hard" industrial prisms that I made with vintage keys and a chandelier prism button.
This would be great to top with a plate or I discovered the larger holes were just right to add a votive candleholder to make this a big candlabra (I'd add a pillar candle to the middle or a vase of flowers) or add small bottles or vases to the holes for a large floral arrangement.
My antique cruet bottles fit right in! I have to finish the red one and then these are going to my Etsy handmade shop. Yay for upcycling! What have you been up to? I'd love to see your projects too. Just comment and I will stalk you down! LOL Have a great weekend! Julia

3 comments:

debbi@yankeeburrowcreations said...

very cool!!!
Debbi
-ourhometoyours

Unknown said...

Oh those would have been fantastic in my son's room! They are also very cool as a cake stand...great idea!!

Kristin Aquariann said...

What an awesomely unique cake stand!!