aqua scroll template

Wednesday, July 22, 2015

South Dakota views


 Hi guys! I really didn't take as many pics as usual on vacation this year. I was busy visiting or vegging out. We got there on the 4th of July and by that night I had worn 2 raw spots on both elbows from sitting at my mom's kitchen table with my sisters and BILs,yaking and talking with my hands!I did get some pics of my mom's flowers..Clematis..


 Her raspberries that we picked several times..


 and she always has hollyhocks..


 Hers grow so good..mine get a bug that munches them here in TN


I marked a few for her to save seed for me though. This one was SO red and velvety and double! A pretty mutant.


 This is the school my dad attended 1-8th grade. It sits an 1/8 mile from their farm...soon to be moved or torn down I am afraid. I walked up there one evening and contended with the mosquitoes from HELL. I was walking and swinging my arms and swatting..they were biting me through my clothes!


 I wanted to get pics of the beehives out back. My parents get honey from these as "rent" from the beekeeper.


They were so colorful and cool! I had to make a beeline for home (hah..punny) as the mosquitoes were ready to carry me off. Note the flatness of the horizon! Makes for great sunrises and sunsets.



 My folks' barn.They said they were going to hire a guy to finish tinning the roof. I said I sure as hell hope so! At 75 and 79 they don't need to be on the barn roof in the SD wind nailing down tin!


 "The boys" and one of the painted class flags in town. They started painting them in 2011 and have one for each year on a building around town.


 A crazy rock I found with a face on it..see it?


 A heart shaped rock from my parent's driveway. I am a sucker for heart shaped rocks and collect ones I find.


 And what is SD without its taxidermy? This pheasant was in a gas station knocking one back.


 ..and the mighty jackalope. The grocery store in town has 2 stuffed black bears over the dairy section "Check out our bear bottom prices" because..who knows. LOL. Bears do not live in eastern SD. Poor bears. I have a pic but it is on my instagram and I can not for the life of me figure out how to get it here because I am a techno stooge.  (Hopeandjoyhome if you have an account) I could post it to Flickr and then upload it here..if I could remember my Flickr account password..and account name..see what I mean?

Grandson Hunter with my sisters' retired horses. They live at my folks farm. The wedding was great. We got to see our son and daughter in law's new house and my sister and her husband's new house. I spent an initially horrific afternoon at a waterpark with the kids and sisters, husband and nieces and nephews. It was 100 plus and there were thousands of people there and I was afraid I was going to burst into flames like a vampire and I hadn't wore a swimsuit since last year in Hawaii..yikes.So much angst! After I got in the water it wasn't so bad! Next time the sisters said we should leave the kids home and float the lazy river and hang out at the swim up bar and call the husbands to fetch us when we are done! Not a bad plan. Hope your summer is going swimmingly! Til next time! Julia

1 comment:

The Polka Dot Closet said...

Now that sounds like a perfect vacation on the farm! I love the old school house, can you imagine the projects that could be done with that old wood! Mosquitoes...I am from Minnesota originally...I don't miss those Midwest mosquitoes at all, they called them the Minnesota state bird!

Carol